Thursday, August 07, 2008

Let's Play! YouTube Drama '08

My roommate introduced me to something that's grown in popularity for some time. Let's Plays are either forum threads or series of videos where people play video games, and mock them or MiST them or whatever. They're pretty cool, and the ones I've read on the SomethingAwful forums are pretty good.

I've subscribed to two LPers on YouTube, DeceasedCrab and UltraJMan, and for a while it was cool. My roommate had warned me that UJM had become a bit of a douche as of late, but I didn't see anything wrong. Then I noticed a bunch of videos dedicated to the Schildkrote Foundation.

The Schildkrote Foundation is, from the looks of it, a very bad joke. It's UJM mocking people for what he claims are bad LPs. I stayed subscribed, because he was updating with an LP video every so often, and those were entertaining enough. Later, this video is posted. Someone claiming to be a college professor said that his class was using UJM's YT channel to run a social experiment. Interesting. Didn't believe a word of it, but interesting.

For a short while, things were fine. A few LP videos, which were great. When Jman is on, he's on. Then, we get another video. And it lampooned everyone who believed that it was all a social experiment. And then they started up again.

Yesterday, Jman posted a video calling DC out. I sent DC a message, seeing if he knew about it. I got a reply today (well, I saw it today), saying he'd look into it. I check my subscriptions, and Jman posted a new video. The worst bit is at the end.

DC's on the video.

Not only am I confused, I'm a little bit miffed. I sent him another message, and now I wait.

:|

EDIT [3:15 PM CST]: Got a reply, and not happy. Sent kind of a novel of a YouTube message back, probably not going to see it until tomorrow in between shifts.

No comments: